This Wednesday, Castle Lite Unlocks takes it to the top as the weekly feature In Bed With features two of SA’s heaviest hitters in the battle of the beatmakers; DJ Maphorisa vs DJ Tira.
It’ll be hosted by DJ Zinhle, and there’ll be a performance by Focalistic as well but it’ll be up to the fans on who takes the crown by showing their support for their faves between two of SA’s most accomplished artists and producers. This is how it’s done: you’re gonna have to root for either Maphorisa or Tira on social media, and the artist whose name climbs up the trends list first is the one who holds the crown.
We usually try to stay impartial, and have plenty of love for the man who made Durban’s Finest an aspiration, but The Plug is backing Maphorisa in this round and let us tell you why.
- Has hits across all of the major genres in SA including Gqom, Afrobeats/Afro-Pop, House/Afro-House, Hip-Hop/Trap, Pop, and Amapiano.
- Even though he’s one of the biggest and most successful artists in the country, he’s all about discovering new talent and puts new artists on where he can, paying it forward
- He’s produced for Drake. No long-winded explanations, he has a producer’s credit for the world’s biggest artist at the moment.
- His work ethic is second to none. Together with Kabza de Small, he released four albums in six months and then another six projects in April all in one day
- He’s been making us dance since 2013 with Y-Tjukutja which catapulted his career. The following year he went on to produce and feature on Mafikizolo’s award-winning smash hit, Khona.
- He also has a number of record-selling singles including Midnight Starring featuring DJ Tira, Busiswa and Moonchild Sanelly which reached Gold status, as well as his collaboration with American group, Major Lazer on the 2017 African anthem Particula, which topped the charts in 17 African countries and garnered over 22 million views for the music video on Youtube.
- Maphorisa is also responsible for the 2016 South African hit, Ngud by Kwesta ft Cassper Nyovest. In the same year, he gave fans a pan-African hit titled Soweto Baby featuring Wizkid and DJ Buckz which won 2016 Best Collaboration award at the MTV Africa Music Awards.
- In 2019/20 his collaboration with Kabza stepped it up a notch with hits such as eMcimbini, Nana Thula, Lorch, Sandton, and Amantombazane.
- Maphorisa has created hits for and with the likes of Major Lazer, Jason Derulo, Trey Songz, Wizkid, Davido, Yemi Alade, Patoranking, Victoria Kimani, Diamond Platnumz, Kwesta, Emtee, Maggz, Mafikizolo, Professor, Busiswa, DJ Zinhle, Trompies, Oskido, Black Coffee, Hugh Masekela, Ifani, Kabza De Small, Cassper Nyovest
We could go on, and on, and on. We’d rather you tune in to see what makes him so special, this Wednesday, 29 April at 19:30 (SAST) on the CastleLiteSA YouTube channel.
We’ve chosen our fighter, his name is Maphorisa.